PE and Sport at High Ercall Primary School
With the recent funding announcement, in September 2017, that Sports premium funding will double in schools, we are currently looking at our planned expenditure for the year.
At High Ercall Primary School, we aim to provide an exciting, balanced and varied programme of activities in physical education that will contribute to each child's physical and emotional development. We strive to create a positive attitude towards P.E. with correct coaching and responsibility given to the children. It is hoped that the children will gain enjoyment from physical education and pursue sporting activities in their private lives, thus promoting a healthy lifestyle.
The school introduces children to a range of sporting activities and encourages them to appreciate how such interests can enrich their lives. A variety of activities are arranged throughout the year and children of all ages have the opportunity to participate in them.
Within the curriculum, each child takes part in at least two hours of quality physical education and school sport. We also provide a number of ‘extra-curricular' sport sessions as we feel physical potential can be enhanced by including children in teams for internal and external competitive events. We endeavour to build links with sports clubs in the community and sign post pupils to develop their sporting potential. During the Summer Term the Key Stage 2 children have a series of weekly swimming sessions at Shortwood Swimming Pool. Our aim is for all pupils leaving the school to be able to swim at least 25m. All pupils in year 6 have the opportunity to attend Arthog Outdoor Education Centre on a school residential.
Since September 2013, schools will be held to account over how they spend their additional, ring-fenced funding. School websites are now required to include details of their provision of PE and sport, alongside details of their broader curriculum, so that parents are able to compare the sports provision between schools, both within and beyond the school day.
At High Ercall Primary School, the impact of the sports funding premium has been:
- increased expertise of teaching staff in school through ongoing professional development from qualified sports coaches in a variety of sports including: hockey, karate, tennis, football, netball, dance, rugby, cricket. We work hard with a range of local companies to ensure high quality coaching staff within curriculum time. Local companies include Crossbar Coaching, Mike Barton Tennis, Telford Hornets Rugby Club, A Chance to Shine cricket and Revel in Dance. this will also ensure the longevity of expertise within school, so that should the funding reduce, we will have staff trained by qualified coaches in school.
- increased participation and success in competition through the Telford Schools Sports Partnership. This year this has included local competitions in dodgeball, tennis, athletics, cricket, cycling, football, and cross country running. The children have enjoyed playing sports with children from other schools, developing their skills to apply their games knowledge in a competition situation. Funding has enabled us to transport children to events, rather than rely upon parent transportation and thus enable equal opportunity for participation for all children.
- opportunities to take part in outdoor adventure activities using Arthog Outreach for children in Year 5. This has given children a taster of new activities such as canoeing and rock climbing, and increased confidence and team building skills prior to their residential visit in Year 6.
- increased use of equipment within school to ensure that there are plenty of opportunities for exercise and participation at lunch times through the increased use of our play equipment on the field.
Our tennis team! Enjoying Bollywood dancing
Sports Premium 2017-18
Total funding: £8580
The attached document details how our sports premium has been used this year.
Swimming Assessments in Year 6 - 2018 (cohort of 17)
- 94% of the children can swim 25m, perform a range of strokes and simple self rescue techniques.
|April 16 to April 17 Expenditure Income Spreadsheet.pdf [ pdf | 2mb ]|
|PE School Sport website calendar and expenditure Sept 17.docx [ docx | mb ]|